Please visit the bus pass information and health and safety protocols page for the 2020-21 school year.
Bus registration is now closed. Please contact your school if you need access to the bus.New bus routes have been posted on the bus stop webpage to accommodate the transition to the longer day for hybrid students on their in-person days. (until 2:00 p.m.).
Bus routes for MIDDLE SCHOOL have substantially changed for the 20-21 school year. Please be sure to check your route and your bus stop as this may have changed from last year.
Special Education Van Transportation: if your child receives van transportation in district or to an out of district private school, you do not need to register your student for the bus.
- Registration for a bus pass will be online ONLY.
- You will find the registration link here. (bus registration is currently closed and will re-open later in the year.)
- Paper packets WILL NOT be mailed.
- You will access your bus pass electronically through Aspen so that it can be printed at home or stored on a smartphone (for secondary students.) To download your bus pass, follow these instructions:
Instructions for Downloading Bus Pass from Aspen
1) Log into Aspen : https://aspen.newton.k12.ma.us/
2) Click on Family Tab at the top
3) Click on Child's Name
4) Click on Documents Side Tab
5) Look for and download Bus Pass 2020-2021 document
The Newton Public Schools transportation department is committed to ensuring students are transported safely to and from school. Whether students ride the bus, bike, or walk, students should be safe and well cared for as they travel to and from school.
The NPS transportation system is complex as there are local, state, and federal regulations with which we must comply. On this website, you will find answers to the following important questions:
- What are the transportation options for my child to get to and from school?
- What are the key pieces of information I need to know before I begin the bus transportation application process?
- What is the cost for my child to use the NPS bus transportation system?
- What is the timeline for applications, payments, and bus pass receipt?
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our transportation department at the phone or emails listed on the right side of this page.
Students in the Newton Public Schools typically arrive at school in one of three ways – walk, bike, or bus. In addition, some families choose to drive students to school. For more information on walking and biking to school, please visit this section. If your student will ride the bus, use the online link to register (live on June 15, 2020) and visit our bus fee section for more information.
ALL students who ride the bus MUST have a bus pass. The bus pass allows NPS to track bus ridership to ensure adequate space at each stop and on each bus.
Before you begin the bus application process, it is helpful to determine the distance from your residence to your assigned school. Please follow this link to determine your distance:
A special note for our elementary students: Students in Kindergarten and 1st grade must be met at the bus stop by a responsible adult. For more information, please find the procedure here.
Fees and Payment
2020-21 bus fees in the Newton Public Schools are as follows:
- Kindergarten: 5th grade – No fee
- 6th grade: See fee structure below*
- 7th – 12th grade: $350/student. Family Cap = $700
*Due to state law, our 6th grade students pay as follows: If you reside LESS than 2 miles from the school, you pay the fee of $350. If you reside MORE than 2 miles from the school, you do NOT pay a fee. You can determine your distance from the schooll by visiting the City of Newton's Residential Services page..
Families may apply for a fee waiver based on financial hardship so that no student is denied bus transportation. To apply, please fill out the financial assistance application within the online bus application process.
617-559-9051Newton Public SchoolsTransportation Office, Room 206100 Walnut StreetNewtonville, MA 02460