School Building Naming Committee Hearing
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
The Naming Committee for the School on Nevada Street seeks comment from parents, school staff and members of the community regarding its preliminary recommendation on an appropriate name.
- Public Hearing to be held: Monday October 29, 2018 @ 7 pm in Room 210 at 100 Walnut Street.
- School Committee Meeting discussion: Wednesday November 14, 2018 @ 7 pm in Room 210 at 100 Walnut Street.
- School Committee Meeting discussion & VOTE: Wednesday November 28, 2018 @ 7pm in Room 210 at 100 Walnut Street.
The Naming Committee welcomes written comments. Please send to Naming225NevadaSt@gmail.com
That the school building on Nevada Street be named the Horace Mann School at the time appropriate for the implementation of the school department's recommended H.4 Scenario in September 2019.
- Most importantly, the proposed new district is overwhelmingly made up of households from the current Horace Mann district (86%) and the staff will basically be the same. They identify as the Horace Mann School.
- Secondly, Horace Mann is considered by many as the father of public education. He championed free, universal, nonsectarian education dependent on trained professional teachers. It is our good fortune he lived in Newton for some years. Our City's history and the high value we place on public education should place Mann's name in the top tier on any list of names appropriate for a Newton education building.
It is the Committee's intent to include in its final report to the School Committee suggestions on how the city might continue to honor the contributions of Frank Carr to the Newton Public Schools.
Naming Committee: Jessica Eldridge-Young, Ted Hess-Mahan (Co-Chair), Daniel Kunitz, Anne Larner (Co-Chair), Robert Smith, Marcia Tabenken, Norah Wylie