Updates From the Principal
October 25th, 2019
Dear Oak Hill Families,
Hope you all enjoy a relaxing sunny, fall weekend! Some important items for next week!
A brief summary report from School Safety Day, Thursday, October 24:
We are pleased to report that school safety day went smoothly. We practiced an evacuation, shelter-in-place, lockdown and hostile event. The students were calm and attentive during the different drills and followed the adult’s direction and the communication channels to staff worked effectively throughout the morning. We learned some new things from the drills that will help us improve in the future.
If you would like to review what we shared with students, please click on either of the links below:
- Click here to view the overview presentation.
- Click here to view the scripts we will use with students to practice the key drills.
If you have further questions, please email me (email@example.com) or Fiona Healy, Assistant Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ski Club Registration Now Open:
Online registration for the Oak Hill Ski and Snowboard Club began October 23 and registration will remain open through November 4th or until all available slots are full, whichever comes first.
Questions? Please contact Matthew Westenberg at email@example.com.
Picture ReTakes, This Tuesday, October 29: Photo retakes will take place for students who missed picture day on September 11 or if you would like to retake your child’s pictures.
One Theme/Many Books Celebration - Early-Release Morning, This Wednesday, October 30
We are excited about our fourth annual book celebration day! Please read below about the theme of friendship that we will be exploring in Community groups during this special morning. If your child hasn’t had a chance to read one of the books, help them get a copy.
Quarter 1 report cards coming soon: Please remind your children that with quarter 1 ending on November 7, it is important that students check in with Mr. Bueno in Technology/Engineering or Ms. Calhoun in Art to make sure all their work is turned it.
The OH PTO through Creative Arts and Sciences is excited to promote the visit from Marcella Pixley who will be presenting to all three grades on Wednesday, November 6!
Get Ready for AuthorFest! Coming Nov. 6!
Newton Public Schools’ Creative Arts & Sciences is dedicating November 6, 2019 to recognizing and celebrating the importance of books in our children’s lives. They will host 25+ author and illustrator workshops at elementary and middle schools across Newton, followed by a districtwide reception and book signing event in the afternoon!
Guidelines for Halloween
The Kindness Ambassadors will be sponsoring a special fundraiser on October 31 by asking faculty and students to donate $1 in order to wear a costume to school. Donations will go to the Kindness Ambassador Club to support creating a welcoming, inclusive school environment for all students including providing holiday support for families in need.
Halloween Costumes must comply with the school dress code and these guidelines:
- No masks, face paint or other facial coverings
- No replica weapons
- No inappropriate language
- No offensive or insensitive costumes
If you have a question about the appropriateness of a costume, please feel free to have your child check with an administrator when they arrive to school in the morning.
Early Release Day, coming next Wednesday, October 30:
- Our second early-release of the year is this Wednesday, October 30. Students will be dismissed at 11:30am.
- We will continue a “Grab and Go” lunch offering for this early release day. If your child would like to eat a school lunch, they will have an opportunity to stop by the cafeteria to get it on their way out of school.
Student Pick-up Parking
Brown and Oak Hill will be dismissed at the same time at 11:30am. There will be over 15 school busses that will be pulling in between the two schools at the same time.
For the safety of all students, please follow these basic guidelines:
- Please do not try to stop and pick up in the rotary or curbs next to the school that are not blue zones.
- Consider arranging with your child to pick up toward the end of Wheeler near Parker (beyond the Oak Hill softball field) to reduce the congestion near Oak Hill. It will be faster and safer.
- Thank you for your effort to be patient and safe during Early Release Day pickup.
Yearbooks on Sale!
- Yearbooks are on sale! You should have received an email already from our yearbook provider, Herff Jones, with the link that brings you directly to the yearbook order form page. You can also click the following link: The cost of a yearbook is $39, and it can be purchased using a credit card.
- We are also continuing the tradition of the 8th grade tributes in our school's yearbook. This is a great way to celebrate your child's successes in middle school while wishing him or her luck in high school. Tributes will be 1/8 of a page and in full color with the picture and message of your choosing which needs to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to follow the steps outlined on the tribute form. If you wish to have a tribute for your child, print and complete the form, and return it to the main office with $30 cash or check. Forms are due no later than December 15th.
- If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Ms. Burleigh at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oak Hill Flu Clinic Coming Thursday, November 7: Forms due by Nov 4!
Nurse Riley and Oak Hill invites you to sign your child up for our annual flu clinic!
- Click here for the 2019 Flu Clinic Parent Letter and Flu Clinic Form
- Parents may sign students up to receive the flu shot at no charge by returning consent and screening forms to the school nurse. Those forms are due Monday, November 4.
- Nurse Susan Riley has more information if you have any questions, email@example.com or 617-559-9215.
Lost and Found:
We have accumulated several fleece jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts etc this fall. We will be donating these unclaimed clothing to the Big Brothers and Big Sisters if they are not picked up by the end of school on Friday, November 8. We will be reminding students during lunches.
After-School Clubs (After-School Enrichment and Athletics (AEA)
- Click here for a schedule of clubs in October!
- There is a one-time fee of $60/annually per student for clubs. Click here for the payment form (note it identifies 17-18 and this form still applies for 19-20)
- If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Hunt: firstname.lastname@example.org. Or check out these links: An Introduction to Oak Hill After School Enrichment and Athletics.
Oak Hill Family Bowling Event:
Oak Hill Family Bowling Event Flyer: Coming Sunday, November 3 from 3pm to 5pm
John Harutunian, Principal