How to Apply
The NTR program runs for one full school year, September through June. Applications for the following school year are due on February first. After February first we consider applications for any remaining spaces on a rolling basis, through May first. No applications for the upcoming school year are considered after May first.
- Applicant must have earned (or will have earned prior to starting the academic year for which they are applying to NTR) a Bachelor's degree in the subject field in which they hope to earn a teacher's license, or in a closely related field.
- Applicant must have passed the MTEL communication and literacy exam as well as the appropriate subject exam. You can find out more about Massachusetts licensure and about taking the MTEL (Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure) here.
- Applicants must have a high level of energy when working with adolescents and be able to express strong enthusiasm for their subject area. A love of learning is a necessity.
- Application for Admission including a 500 word personal statement.
- Official Transcripts from previous colleges and graduate schools attended.
- MTEL communication and literacy and subject exam score reports. (In special circumstances this requirement may be waived. However, the applicant is required to pass these tests before completing the program).
- Three Letters of Reference as described in the Application for Admission (see link above).
- Send completed applications to: NTR Admissions c/o Peter Turner, Newton North High School, 457 Walnut Street, Newtonville MA, 02460.
NB: We cannot consider incomplete applications.
- The first deadline for NTR applications is February first. We will consider applications received between February first and May first on a rolling basis, depending on space available. No applications will be considered after May first.
- We will review all complete applications. Finalists will be selected for an interview with NTR faculty, and admissions offers will be made after finalists have been interviewed. We require a non-refundable $600 deposit to secure a place in the program once admitted. (The deposit is applied to your tuition payment.)
- Candidates will be subject to a criminal background check before acceptance into the NTR program.