Newton North High School
Counseling & Guidance Department
457 Walnut Street, Newtonville, MA 02460
September 18, 2017
Dear Parents/Guardians of Sophomores,
I hope the school year is starting off well and that your child is finding the right balance between school, extra-curricular activities and social outlets. Although post-graduate planning does not formally begin until junior year, your child may consider taking the PreACT test on Saturday, October 21, at 7:45 am at Newton North.
The PreACT is a practice ACT test, which is a college admission test that serves that same purpose as the SAT. The PreACT simulates the ACT testing experience by providing students early exposure to ACT test questions and predictive score ranges on the 1–36 ACT scale. This helps students get comfortable with the standardized testing experience and understand how they are doing in core subjects. It also helps students, parents/guardians and educators identify areas where additional support might be necessary.
The PreACT Test is normed for sophomores and contains four curriculum-based assessments—English, Mathematics, Reading, and Science. Students also receive a personalized view of college and career possibilities—based on their answers to the ACT Interest Inventory, which can help them, start thinking about career paths. Parents/guardians and counselors can use the data to help students choose high school courses most relevant to career areas of interest. More information about the PreACT can be found at www.act.org/preact.
Newton North encourages sophomores to take the PreACT in order gain experience with standardized tests and learn more about who they are as learners and what interests they have related to the world of work. Since this is a practice test, PreACT test scores are not shared with colleges. Once school counselors receive the scores, they will meet individually with each student to explain their scores and career interest results. The students will then bring the scores and information home for their family to review.
Facts to consider:
- The cost is $30.00 and payment will be accepted through on on-line system called RegiSmart. The details of the payment program and the time frame will be sent out by early next week.
- Fee waivers are available to students/families who are eligible to receive financial assistance. Information on how to apply for a fee waiver is forthcoming.
- After a student registers and pays for the PreACT, they will receive a PreACT pamphlet, which will be available in the Adams House Office, the Main Office, Counseling Office, and in School Counselor Offices.
- The ACT recognizes an alternate test date for religious purposes only. An alternate PreACT test date has yet to be scheduled and details will be forthcoming.
- Students, who are currently on an IEP or a 504 Accommodation Plan and want to request special testing accommodations, must purchase a ticket and then provide the following information, via email, to the Newton North Testing Coordinator. Student name, IEP or 504 Plan, and specific testing accommodations requested, as indicated on the formal plan.
The Day of the Test:
- On the morning of the test, students arrive by 7:45am and go to the library. Outside the library, the room rosters will be posted. Room rosters are in alphabetical order.
- Students must bring the school ID or some form of personal ID.
- Students should bring pencils and a calculator.
- Students can bring snacks and/or water bottles, which will only be accessed during formal breaks.
- The test will take approximately three hours, unless a student is eligible for extended time, which may result in an extra hour.
Testing Coordinator Contact Information:
Questions regarding the implementation of the PreACT at North should be directed to:
Anthony Patelis, Testing Coordinator
617-559-6400 ext. 454242
Brendan Amedio, Assistant Testing Coordinator
If you have any specific questions regarding the PreACT test and how it impacts your child, please contact your child’s school counselor.
Beth Swederskas, Counseling Department Chair
Newton North High School