Newton METCO Transportation
If you want to make a change to your scheduled stop, please provide a written note to your bus monitor.
* If you have any transportation concerns you may call Newton Transportation at 617.559.9051.
* If your child is not met at his/her bus stop, they will be taken to METCO, Inc. after the last bus stop on that route. You may contact METCO Inc. at 617.427.1545.
* You and your child must arrive and be standing at the bus stop (not sitting in a parked car) 10 minutes before the scheduled arrival, and be prepared to wait 10 to 15 minutes beyond the scheduled arrival for both the morning and afternoon buses.
* The Newton METCO Program does not provide bus service to students who live in outlying areas of Boston such as: Allston, Brighton, Charlestown, Chestnut Hill, Downtown Boston, East Boston, South Boston, West Roxbury, parts of Dorchester (Uphams Corner), Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, and Roslindale. Families currently residing in, or moving to, these areas must provide transportation to an existing bus stop on the route or drive their child to and from school.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What if I need to bring a resident student home with me?
The resident parent and the Boston parent both must send letters of permission at least 24 hours (1 day) in advance to the Newton METCO office at 617-559-6133 (fax), These letters must include students names, date(s) of event and emergency contact names and numbers (for the resident student). SAMPLE LETTER
If a Boston student brings a visitor on the bus without the explicit permission from the Newton METCO director, their bus privileges can be suspended.
2. What do I do if I lose or forget my High school BusID?
If you have lost or forgotten your ID, you must call the Newton METCO office at 617 559-6132, (the day you lose it). This must be done in the morning before 12:00 pm, giving us time to get the "Permission to Ride" list to the bus company. Once this is adhered to permission will be given to ride the bus that day.
Please, Do not call the office from the bus expecting to get permission to ride the bus at that time or after the driver has told you that you are not on the permission list. The bus driver has the right to refuse admittance to the bus without ID or prior approval. Arguing and fighting with the driver can result in bus suspension.
3. What if I lose or forget my ID in the morning, can I still ride the bus?
Yes, if you do not have your ID, you will be able to ride the bus to school that morning. However, you must call the Newton METCO office at 617 559-6132, to report that you have lost or forgotten your ID. This must be done in the morning before 12:00 pm, giving us time to get the list to the bus company.
4. What if I forget to call before 12:00p?
If you forget to call before 12:00 pm permission can only be given to ride the late bus.
5. How do I replace my ID and does it cost anything?
You must contact the METCO office at 617-559-6132 to replace your lost ID, and it will cost $2.00 to be replaced. The new ID will be sent to your METCO counselor as soon as it is made.