The Newton Public Schools actively cultivates a culture of equity and excellence by creating and sustaining curriculum and instructional practices that lead to high quality learning for each and every student. We intend to provide curriculum and instruction that inspires and engages students, and ensures that all students become knowledgeable, responsible, caring and contributing members of society.
- is aligned to research-based, nationally vetted standards in addition to Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks in each discipline;
- is aligned to the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks incorporating the Common Core State Standards for mathematics and English Language Arts, and the Next Generation Science Standards;
- ensures that skills, concepts and topics build sequentially from one grade to the next;
- promotes critical thinking and cultural competence;
- provides multiple opportunities for student growth and proficiency by ensuring maximum accessibility for students with disabilities and English Language Learners, and provides students who have achieved proficiency the opportunity to extend and expand their learning.