School Sustainability Working Group
The School Sustainability Working Group (SSWG) seeks to promote and increase sustainable practices within the Newton Public Schools. Partnering with GreenNewton's School Connections group, the SSWG will work to improve sustainable practices in the areas of transportation, energy, recycling, and food service.
Sustainability is a part of the Newton Public Schools Systemwide Goals for 2020, along with specific goals to improve transportation in the district. The FY20 Systemwide Goals include “Initiate Development of School Sustainability Working Group," as well as a managerial goal to improve transportation.
Working Group Structure
The School Sustainability Working Group includes the representation from NPS administration, facilities, educators, school committee members, Whitsons (food service partner), City of Newton Department of Public Works and Department of Sustainability.
City and district officials work in partnership with Green Newton, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization work to create sustainable solutions to environmental problems facing our city and our world, often in collaboration with City government and schools, and with other nonprofits across Massachusetts. Green Newton's School Connections Initiative provides an opportunity for families to collaborate with the district in bringing sustainable practices and environmental education directly into the Newton Public Schools.
Goals and Objectives
- Help initiate the MassDEP School Recycling Assistance grant application
- Review goals/objectives of SSWG and plan communication of its formation to School Committee and community
- Discuss implementation plan for a school textile collection program
FY20 (Year 1)
- Promote recycling efforts
- Identify feasible methods for reduce single-use plastics
- Coordinate with Food Service Advisory Group (FSAG) on actionable waste reduction goals
- Promote more active and sustainable transportation to school
- Support sustainable use nd sourcing of energy
FY 21-22 (Year 2-3)
- Formation of school-based Green Teams
- Partner with district personnel for support in recycling efforts
- Improve implementation of classroom education on sustainability efforts broadly and locally
- Align classroom projects to district sustainability goals
- Develop district sustainability goals or adopt/committ to a school sustainability framework, such as Green Schools Alliance
For a full, detailed description of the School Sustainability Working Group, please download this document: SSWG Purpose, Structure, Objectives, and Timeline.