Newton North High School Classroom Aide Program
Some departments/programs at NNHS have a classroom aide program. The program, and the associated student responsibilities, may vary from department to department. In all cases the student and the teacher will work together closely on tasks that are helpful to the teacher and/or her students and that are educational for the student classroom aide. The student is always directly supervised by the teacher. For many students the experience is similar to a job shadow or internship.
Students do not register for “Classroom Aide” during the spring registration period. No teacher may promise an aide position to a student in the spring. To be considered as a candidate for the position of classroom aide, all interested students must complete the application/registration process through the appropriate department head in September. Department heads will pair selected students with a supervising teacher. The department head will take responsibility for working with counselors to add “classroom aide” to the student’s schedule.
A student’s other classes will not be changed to accommodate adding “classroom aide” to a student’s schedule. Classes may not be dropped or moved in order to add classroom aide to the schedule.
Students may serve as a classroom aide two or four times per week and for one semester or for the full year. The number of times per week and the semester or full-year status will need to be determined before an application is approved. Changes during the year need to be approved by the supervising teacher and the appropriate department head.
Students are graded A/P/F. Students may only earn an A if they have a proposal for advanced work approved by the department head. Proposals for advanced work must be submitted to the department head by September 30th for first semester and before February vacation for second semester. The proposal must include a signature from the supervising teacher supporting the application. Please note that the proposal for advanced work is separate from the initial application process.
Credits are awarded based on the number of blocks per week. Students earn half the number of credits as a “typical” class. For example, a student who serves as a classroom aide three blocks per week for the entire year will be awarded 6 credits. This course credit is not counted toward any distribution requirements but may be counted toward the total credits required for graduation.
- During the spring registration period students may tell a specific teacher that they have an interest in being a classroom aide. However, students do not register for “Classroom Aide” during the spring. Note that teachers should not promise an aide position to a student in the spring. All students must go through the application process in September.
- Once students receive their block schedules (the first day of school), they may fill out an application to be a classroom aide. (See attached.) The student submits the completed application to the department head.
- The department head works with teachers to determine which applications to accept and which to deny. The department head approves (or denies) the application and emails the counselor asking them to add Classroom Aide to the student’s schedule.
- The counselor completes the blue form, attaches the department head’s email to the blue form as a signature, and submits it to the Data Center for processing.
- Note that a student’s other classes will not be changed to accommodate adding “classroom aide” to a student’s schedule. Classes may not be dropped or moved in order to add classroom aide to the schedule.
2022-2023 Application Deadlines:
- Friday, October 14th, for fall semester and full-year applications.
- Friday, January 20nd, for spring semester applications.
- Applications may be considered at other times at the discretion of the appropriate department head.