Interpretation and Translation Overview

  • What is the difference between an interpreter and a translator?
    An interpreter is a person who provides an oral translation between speakers who speak different languages. Interpreters can be arranged for parent conferences, school meetings, or any other information that needs to be communicated to parents in a language they understand.

    translator is someone who translates a written document from one language to another. The English Language Learner (ELL) Program office is able to translate documents that will be used by several families and by more than one school.

General Education Interpretation and Translation Requests

  • Newton Public Schools has contracted with International Translation Company in order to better meet the needs of teachers, families and students in Newton.  In addition, we have retained a limited number of interpreters who have experience working with schools and families in Newton.  Please follow the links in blue to request an interpreter or have a document translated.


    Lingolet -

    Lingolet is an on-demand interpetation service. Please call the ELL office (617-559-6043) or email for support.  

    In-district Interpreters  -

    They have been providing interpretation services in some of our more common languages.  Please complete the form after you have contacted the interpreter and they have done the interpretation.
    EMERGENCY SERVICES  - for use only when the safety and mental health or well-being of a student/family is in jeopardy. 

    Translation Requests - E-Mail Allison Levit at for approval, attaching materials to be translated in desired language.

Working with an Interpreter

  • If you would like some tips on how to work with an interpreter before, during and after a session, please click on Tips for Working with an Interpreter, a document by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

Are there any Special Education documents already translated?

  • At this time, special education requests will follow a different procedure.  If you need an interpreter for a special education meeting, please contact Katelyn McAdams, in the Student Services Office directly.
    You need to make sure to use the interpreter to set up the meeting, possibly remind the parent of the meeting, and to come to the meeting to interpret.
    Many special education documents and templates (IEP Forms/Notices and Parent’s Rights Brochure) have already been translated into many languages by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).

    For updated documents you can contact the Student Services Department at 617-559-6025.

    Although the Parent's Notice of Procedural Safeguards is translated into many languages on the DESE website, the ELL office has translated it into languages not provided by the DESE. Here, you will find the document in Japanese, Korean and Turkish.

    The ELL office has translated the Receipt of Parents' Rights into Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.

How do I find a Bilingual Evaluator?

  • If you are looking for a bilingual evaluator, you can contact the Student Services Dept. at 617-559-6025.