Senior Year Monthly ActivitiesAUGUST / SEPTEMBER
- Register for September ACT in August
- Get off to a strong start
- Register for October SAT & ACT
- Meet with your Guidance Counselor and Mrs. Sabet, College/Career Counselor especially if applying to colleges with early deadlines
- Register through Naviance to attend college admissions rep visits at NSHS
- If applying early action/early decision:
- finalize list and share details about your list and deadlines with recommenders
- continue to work on college essays
- Know your deadlines
- Register for the TOEFL, if needed
- Create a Common Application, Coalition, Universal or college specific account and begin completing applications if you are applying in November-December
- SAT and SAT Subject tests administered
- Deadline to register for November SAT
- Attend Financial Aid Night at NSHS
- Complete the FAFSA especially if you have early college deadlines and file after October 1st
- Be sure you understand the requirements if applying Early Decision and/or Early Action
- Meet with college admissions reps in NSHS College & Career Center. Remember to get a signed permission pass from your teacher!
- Attend Newton North High School’s College Fair
- Proofread final drafts of all college essays for early applications
- Attend Boston’s Performing & Visual Arts College Fair
- Visual artists/designers attend National Portfolio Day in Boston
- SAT or SAT Subject tests administered.
- Submit Early Decision/Early Action applications
- Deadline to register for December ACT & SAT
- Register for CSS/Financial Aid Profile at www.collegeboard.org (if college requires it). Each college has a specific deadline.
- Attend fall college open houses
- Speak with recommenders if applying for regular admissions deadlines
- Continue working on college essays & supplements for regular admissions deadlines
- If considering a gap year, review literature in the College & Career Center and online
- SAT Reasoning or Subject tests
- Finish all applications and essays.
- Look for information on NSHS local scholarships
- If you applied Early Action/Early Decision, continue working on regular deadline applications, if applicable
- Research sources of private scholarships. Check out the scholarship link on Naviance and weekly scholarship email reminders
- Deadline to register for January SAT
- Finish college applications.
- SAT Reasoning and SAT Subject tests administered (not at NSHS)
- Complete the Newton South High School Local Scholarship application.
- Check scholarship deadlines.
- Have mid-year grades sent to colleges if requested
- Check/apply for private outside scholarships
- Continue to explore colleges as thoroughly as possible
- Send any updated information about your achievements to colleges
- It’s not too late to apply!
- Review college responses and financial aid offers with your parents and counselors
- Decide where to visit
- Write withdrawal letters/emails to colleges you will not attend
- Make final decision and deposit by May 1
- AP Exams
- Some colleges will ask you to sign up for an orientation time
- Meet with your counselor for advice, if waitlisted.
- HAVE A GREAT SUMMER — YOU DESERVE IT!!!