My name is Barbara Rosen, RN, BSN, MS, and I have been the full-time nurse at the Bowen School since September 2000. I would like to inform you of some of the Newton Health Department rules regarding the requirements for entry into school, student illness/absence, the use of medications and the screenings done during elementary school.
Please see http://www.newtonma.gov/gov/health/school.asp
for the forms you might need. On this site, you will find the medical registration form (to be filled out by a parent or guardian), the immunization requirements and a medication permission form. Your child will also need a recent physical examination, (dated within a year prior to your child’s first day of school). All medical documentations should be provided to the school nurse.
Please keep your child home from school if he or she has:
- A fever over 100° F (37.8° C) during the past 24 hours.
- Vomiting or diarrhea within the past 24 hours.
- A sore throat and/ or swollen neck glands.
- A cold in the active stages, i.e. coughing, runny nose, sneezing.
- An undiagnosed rash or skin eruptions.
- Head lice that have not been treated.
If your child will be absent from school, please leave a message on the Bowen call-back line: 617 559-9350.
When possible, please schedule all medications to be administered at home. If your child needs to take medication during school hours, these are the requirements:
- No medication should be in a student's possession (pocket, desk or locker) without the proper paperwork provided and safety evaluation by the school nurse.
- A parent or other adult must deliver any medication to the school nurse.
- All prescription medications must be in a pharmacy-labeled bottle.
- Over-the-counter medications must be in the original bottle and kept in the health room.
- The parent or guardian must fill out the medication permission form for each medication.
- All medications (including over-the-counter) must have a physician's order/ signature.
Please be sure to notify me of any/ all of your child's allergies (food, seasonal or environmental), any chronic illness, and any recent illness or injury that might effect your child during the school day. Please let me know if there are any medical issues that occur during the school year (for example, if your child has had a serious injury, hospitalization, an extended or contagious illness, or has started on medications at home).
During each school year, the children will experience the following health screenings:
Screening Grades Results
- Vision K – 5th Parents notified if child does not pass
- Hearing K – 3rd And on request in 4th + 5th grades Parents notified if child does not pass
- Growth 1st + 4th Height, weight and BMI percentile Parents may request results
- Scoliosis 5th
Parents will be notified if the findings indicate that something should be brought to the attention of the pediatrician
If you choose to not have your child participate in a screening program, please submit a written request annually, with documentation of the screening results that were done by your health care provider.
Thank you, and I look forward to meeting you and your children.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Barbara_Rosen RN, BSN, MSHealth Office Telephone: 617-559-9335
Bowen School Fax: 617 552-7363