Enrolling in the Newton Public Schools

  • Welcome to the Newton Public Schools! Here in Newton, it is our goal to build welcoming, safe, and supportive school communities for all students. We are glad you are joining us and hope that your child's experience will be positive and rewarding.
    To enroll in the Newton Public Schools, you MUST be a resident of the City of Newton. To register, you will need to complete the forms found on the right side of this page. Once completed, please take these forms to your assigned school. Don't know your assigned school? Find it here.  

Buffer Zones

  • You may find that you are assigned to two schools. This means you live in a "buffer zone." A buffer zone is a defined area for which individual addresses may be assigned to one of two elementary or middle schools. Parents/guardians of students residing in a buffer zone must first request one of the two designated schools in the zone. Once the student has been assigned to a school, the registration process is completed at that school.
    Please visit our Buffer Zones page for more information and to access the forms necessary to request a school. 


  • To enroll in the Newton Public Schools, a student must reside in the City of Newton with a parent/legal guardian. Before a student can be registered, the parent/legal guardian will be required to show "proof of residency" documents, which may include:
    • Purchase & Sale Agreement documents
    • Mortgage statement
    • Rental/lease agreement
    • Two utility bills
    Please see the residency guidelines and forms on the right side of this page or visit our residency page for more specific information.  

English Language Learners

  • If your family is new to Newton and a language in addition to or other than English is spoken in the home, your registration process begins in our ELL office. Please visit our ELL page for specific forms and contact information.