School Transfer Requests - Newton Residents and NPS Faculty/Staff Only
The Newton Public Schools considers applications from families residing in Newton who would like their student to attend or transfer to a school different from their assigned district. This process is also utilized for Newton faculty/staff (NTA Units A, B, C, D, E, NESA, Custodial Union) who wish to enroll their student in the Newton Public Schools.
Applications for the 2024-25 school year are open from March 1, 2024 - May 1, 2024.
Here are the links to the Google Forms to apply for a school transfer. Please be sure to select the correct form:
Applications received after May 2 and before Labor Day may, under special circumstances, be considered only after all other placement decisions have been made.
School transfer decisions will be announced as close to June 1, 2024 as possible.
You can also email at: email@example.com
For general information on the 2024-25 process, please review the School Transfer Request Information Sheet
Other Key Information
- School Transfers are limited and made on a space available basis. Impact on enrollment, as well as staffing and space availability, for both the requested year and for future years, are key considerations in the application process.
- The established procedure and application process must be followed in order for the request to be considered. Please see the School Transfer Policy issued by the Newton School Committee.
- Students approved for a transfer should understand that the course assignment process begins prior to June and therefore, they may not receive their first choice in course selection.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for transportation if the student is placed at the requested transfer school.
- For families, once a school transfer is approved, the student will follow the feeder pattern for the new school through middle and high school. A new application is NOT needed each year.
- Similarly, once children of staff and students in the METCO program are placed, the assigned elementary becomes their home school and they follow that school's feeder pattern.
- Families do retain the right to return to their “home” school at the beginning of a new school year.